The Trustees of The Western Australian Nurses Memorial Charitable Trust approve the allocation of grants to nurses and midwives wishing to undertake projects that enhance the quality of nursing or midwifery practice, management or education.
The Trust provides two funding categories to support research and innovation in nursing and midwifery:
- Standard Grant: Applications for a standard grant can be received at any time. These grants range in amount of up to $15,000.
- Biennial Grant: Applications for the Biennial Grant close each even biennial year (e.g. 2018-2020-2022) on the 30th June. The Biennial Grant supports research and innovation up to an amount of $40,000.
Application for funding for project grants must be made by an individual primary applicant. Consideration will be given to individual projects conducted within healthcare, service and academic environments.
This applicant must be:
- Currently registered with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency
- Currently practicing in the profession of nursing or midwifery
- In good standing within the profession
All submissions must demonstrate a potential value to the nursing profession and demonstrate that local ethics approval has been met.
Projects eligible for consideration include, but are not limited to:
- Research: Basic, applied or exploratory projects related either to the art or science of nursing or midwifery. Studies may be of a major or minor nature and form part of studies for a higher degree.
- Continuous quality improvement: Projects that monitor, assess, measure and evaluate actions designed to improve patient care.
- Translational: Projects which aim to assess and collate existing evidence such as systematic reviews and meta-analysis.
- Research utilisation: Projects that aim to incorporate evidence-based changes into practice. This may include the acquisition of specialised knowledge and skill.
- Other innovations/initiatives: Projects such as the design and development of equipment, techniques or systems, which would enhance the profession of nursing or midwifery.
- Conference travel costs: Funding toward this will be considered only for those applicants planning to attend national or international conferences, and whom are intending to present an abstract presentation. Funding toward the presentation of a poster at national or international conferences may be considered.
Funding for academic course fees or study leave is not available from the Trust.
For further information on how to work out if your project is eligible for a grant please contact us at:
For 2018, grants meetings will be held by the Grants Committee on the second Tuesday of each month: